About the Course
Event management is a specialized hospitality field for those interested in planning and running a wide array of events, ranging from business conventions to music concerts. A bachelor's degree in event management provides students with the theory and experience (both classroom and practical) required to break into the field.
Degree in Event Management
An Event Management Bachelors degree is usually an undergraduate academic degree that typically lasts for three or four years. If you have just graduated from your secondary education, you will in most cases be eligible to start your event management bachelors education at a university, college or other qualified institution.
Courses in event management bachelor's programs are a mixture of theory and skills training, covering the range of expertise required in the field and often culminating in an internship. Common courses may include:-
- Principles of hospitality management
- Event marketing and sales
- Catering management
- Legal issues in the hospitality industry
- Accounting in event management
- Interpersonal skills and professionalism
Essential skills :
- Public Relations: to manage clients, their agents and a vast gamut of professionals you would meet in the line of your profession
- Creativity: from the germ of the concept to manage an occasion to its final delivery
- Marketing skills: to sell your idea to your clients in order to make their events memorable
- Analytical ability: you must have the knack to solve all sorts of problems and even have the foresight to anticipate unforeseen issues
- Organisational skills: to carefully plan for tasks for self and for the entire team
- Networking skills: this industry thrives on the shoulders of personal networking and you must have the ability to utilise it and expand it in your favour
- Management skills: ability to manage time, stress, subordinates, clients, budgeting, risks, situations and so on
Institutions that offer event management as a vocational study program are few and far between. Most of these institutes offer certificate and diploma courses. On the other hand, event management companies prefer candidates who have earned their qualification in allied fields such as a degree or a diploma in Public Relations, Tourism, Hospitality Management, Sales or Marketing.
There are plenty of jobs in this industry. In spite of the current global economic slowdown, the event management industry has continued to grow in leaps and bounds. There are plenty of events: weddings, birthday parties, talent hunt and reality shows, fashion and cultural shows, academic and sports meets, religious functions, corporate events, conferences and so on.
Talented youngsters who want to leave their mark in this industry have numerous avenues. You can join an event management company or a media house that specialises in event management activities. Once you have garnered ample experience you can either start working in the capacity of a freelancer or event set up your own events business.
1. Cineyug Entertainment
2. Cox and Kings
3. DNA Networks Pvt Ltd.
6. Percept D Mark
8. Sita Conferences
9. Tafcon Group
10. TCI Consultancy Services and 'e' Events
11. Wizcraft International Entertainment Pvt Ltd.
12. 360 Degrees
13. Top notch media and production houses
- Since you would be working in the service industry and meeting people all the time having good communication skills helps
- Although a graduation degree is enough to get into an event management firm but qualification in Hospitality Management, Tourism Management, Public Relations, Human Relationship Management, Marketing enhances your chances for getting hired
- Keep an up to date portfolio of all your creative and organisational activities and highlight your achievements during the selection process
- It is not mandatory but desirable to have a certificate or a diploma in event management from a reputed academy